From: Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:39 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Reducing ACAD file size

Hi Dennis,

Its been awhile, but since your looking at the cad packages, one of the problems I hear about Revit is the impact on creating sections and details for the structural drawings and the time frame in which you have to finish your structural drawings to submit for plan check or progress sets.  I am not sure the owners/developers are going to give us more time to create the structural drawings to help avoid conflicts (beams, pipes, duct conflicts) that can be uncovered when using Revit.  We likely will have to do more in less time.

The structural drawing problem is that you can't cut sections through the building until the Revit model is done to generate structural sections and details as I understand it. I have heard of structural design offices that use Revit actually are drafting the building twice:

1. Draw once in Revit for the 3D model
2. Draw sections and details separate from Revit so you can start generating structural sections and details for the framing plans (allows you to have information for progress sets to architect, owner, contractor about wall sections, framing connections, etc) and determine what conflicts you find without the Revit model.  Hopefully once the Revit model is done and you cut sections using Revit they will match the ones you drew separately prior to completion of the Revit model.

So basically your drafting it still the same old way as you have always done it so you can have drawings ready to submit to someone instead of waiting for the Revit 3D model to be completed in order to be able to cut structural sections.  The Revit Model may take awhile in trying to coordinate things with the architect, leaving you very little time once the Revit model is complete to finish your structural drawings by the deadline that the architect promised the owner he would be done by.

So not sure how in the fast track world that Revit is going to help.  The Architect it helps, but as engineers now dependant upon the Architect to make sure the model is complete before we start doesn't leave us much time to get our stuff done.

Your Thoughts?...We don't have Revit yet, but will probably have to get it in the next year or so.  Just comments I have heard from other structural engineering firms that have started to use Revit...your experience may be different.

Mike Cochran