RE: Reducing ACAD file size

Mike:

Like anything new there is a learning period and process.

I have been “learning” REVIT Structure for several months now and reading about how to implement its use. The AutoCAD website has several white papers to help understand how to integrate this new product into a working office situation. They describe some of the pitfalls (100% conversion) and suggest ways to migrate effectively.

Here are some of my experiences and opinions about how this new tools will work in my office.

First, it will be some time before we get REVIT building models from architects because quite frankly, they’re struggling with the same “it looks great, how do I get there” thinking.

My experience with using 2D CAD drawings as a base model for “growing” the structural walls and foundations has been pretty positive. The effort to trace wall elements is fairly painless and intuitive.

Likewise, building the floor and roof structures seems to take about as much time as it would in normal CAD work with the exception that the REVIT elements are smart and fit nicely onto walls and beams. If fact this is a much better way to draw a building and even if I only used the plan view it would take less time than regular CAD.

The detailing issue I probably agree with you about. The ability to generate construction sections off the REVIT building section is not as difficult as it sounds however I’ve also heard that this increases file size and probably isn’t the primary role of REVIT. FWIW I think even Autodesk suggests you use a separate tool for this part of the project. They are presently offering REVIT Structure 3 which includes a copy of AutoCAD 2007.

My intent is to take some fairly small steps on projects in the next few months. This would be for my continued learning.

Oh, one thing that is extremely powerful is the ability to build wall sections. (This is not your father’s wall sections) For instance, wood walls are components which include siding, sheathing, studs, plates and gypsum board. You can literally display as little or as much of this “wall” in your sections, so the issue of having rough models is not true.

Lastly, the product (REVIT) contains a tutorial in the help menu which is an extremely efficient way to learn its use. There are perhaps 160 lessons which walk through almost every aspect of the product. They are very easy to digest in small structured sessions and well worth the effort to investigate.

Barry H. Welliver