Re: Cricket Explained

I am so glad that you took the time out to google for it. It is a game very similar to baseball. But I would like to point out some of the major differences
1. There is nothing called an intentional walk, meaning if babe ruth came to bat, the only way he was gonna be out was if he hit a flyball or was struck out. You would not be able to walk him
2. At any point in time, there can only be 2 batsmen on the playing field.Runners are allowed for injured players.
3. Runs are scored by going back and forth between bases (or stumps as they are called). You can run a player out just like in baseball. If he is out of the crease (similar to a batters box), and the ball hits the stumps, then he is out. If the ball is hit in the air and the fielder catches it, the batter is out (again similar to baseball).
4. A home run = 6 runs in cricket. There are boundaries around the playing field, and if the ball rolls over the boundary line then the batting team makes 4 runs. All other runs scored are made by running between the bases (typically 1, 2 and 3).
5. A batter has the choice whether to run or not unlike in baseball. There are 6 balls in every over, meaning a bowler (pitcher) can bowl 6 legal balls (pitches) before the batters switch ends. Meaning if Batsman A faced the 6th ball of the over from Pitcher X and no runs were scored, then Batsman B will get to face Pitcher Y. If he scores odd number of runs, he gets to bat again to Pitcher Y.
6. A ball (as in strikes and balls) in cricket gives the team a run. This way it ensures that the pitching team(bowling team) makes more fair pitches. There is a run penalty for balls.

This is of the top of my head between cricket and baseball. I will update them as and when I can think of more. The big difference is that there is no on field coaching (like first base, third base coaches) in cricket. The in-field decisions are made by the players with the overall strategy made by the coach and the captain.

Go Cricket
Anantha

Kipp Martin <KMartin(--nospam--at)carollo.com> wrote:
Some of you have admitted to not understanding cricket. When my son
asked me how it was played, I didn't know either, so I searched on
Google for an explanation. One site that I found really had a good,
short, concise statement that I offer to all.

Cricket - As explained to a foreigner

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in
the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next
man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out
comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those
coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out,
and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they
decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and
all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all
the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end
of the game.

Like I said, it is now perfectly clear how the game is played.

--Kipp Martin
Portland, Oregon

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org