welding nuts follow-up

From the manufacturer I work with:

"...After our conversation the other day, I can respond by telling you that the first portion of the "fabricators general note inclusion" by Bob Garner [does not sound quite right]...
ASTM A563 for Grade DH3 material information [nuts, actual material test reports, and certificates that we have use for our bridges needs to be examined] before this dilemma becomes a problem for us down the line.

The second half of the [Bob Garner's note appears] a reiteration of your general note that states: "Weld structural steel in compliance with AWS D1.1, latest edition". My feeling is that fabricators should be incorporating tack welds into finish welds to be in compliance, the AWS D1.1 section doesn't need to be cited; otherwise every section of AWS D1.1 should be entered into the general notes.....Where would it stop!
The real dilemma here is the "weldability" of the ASTM A563 Grade DH3 nut. Just a quick look into the ASTM Specification for A588/A 588M-01 material weldability, the use of a welding procedure suitable for the grade of steel and intended service is specified. The specification also directs you to ASTM specification A6/A6M appendix X3 for the weldability of steel and its references. Like I mentioned the other day, the qualifying document here will be a welding procedure that covers the base material of the A563 grade DH3 nut.

As I have more time, I will research more."
Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA