Re: Concrete water damage

Paul,

Personally, I'd have no problem with the concrete chemistry.  My concern would be the rapid draw-down of the water within the building, if the soil outside was saturated too.

John Riley

Paul Feather <PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net> wrote:
We have a project where the basement excavation, with footings, walls, and first column lift 80% placed, was completely flooded / submerged in water from a City main breaking nearby.

It took about three days to pump out the millions of gallons of water.

Other than the obvious concerns with soils and waterproofing, can anyone think of a concern for the concrete?

I have been thinking about it for a couple days, and I do not believe there is any problem; we can flood cure slabs with beneficial effects.  But I wanted to get some input if anyone can think of something I am overlooking.  None of the concrete was less than a week old when the flood occurred.  Maybe some thermal shock cracking, but that is about all I can come up with.

Thanks,

Paul Feather PE, SE