Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: Cricket Explained[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Re: Cricket Explained
- From: "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
- Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:36:06 -0700
Mitch Williams baby, The Wild Thing gets taken deep... couldn't happen to a better guy!
Been a Yankees fan for 57 years. Never ever thought the "world series" thing was arrogant. Never was indignant.
But when we first won the World Series, were Americans indignant? You bet your sweet bippy!
Dave (from Canada) still a Yankees fan!
A match between two such local teams could be World Series.
Foreigners who get indignant about the "world series" thing seem to think this is an example of American arrogance. It isn't. It's an example of American tendency toward showmanship and hype.
P. T. Barnum called his circus "The Greatest Show On Earth." Does that mean he was saying "all other shows on earth and not as good as mine"? No, he was saying "hm, how can I make a blatant statement that will sell more tickets?"
In other words, there is no intent to insult anyone—we don't sit around here in the U.S. and think to ourselves "how can we insult other countries today?" No, the truth is at once more and less sinister than that. We amuse ourselves, and we really don't think that much about what's going on somewhere else.
- Prev by Subject: RE: Cricket Explained
- Next by Subject: RE: Cricket Explained
- Previous by thread: RE: Cricket Explained
- Next by thread: Re: Cricket Explained