RE: Cricket Explained

From: dave lowen [mailto:jatech(--nospam--at)kwic.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 6:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Cricket Explained

Been a Yankees fan for 57 years. Never ever thought the “world series” thing was arrogant. Never was indignant.

But when we first won the World Series, were Americans indignant? You bet your sweet bippy!

Dave (from Canada) still a Yankees fan!

But see, that’s the thing: Americans never thought about in terms of “oh, no, the Canucks won!” The attitude was “the  Blue Jays won, good for them” (unless you were a Braves fan, but who the **** cares what they think?)

Of course, when our Canadian cousins beat the *blip* out of the U.S. in the “World Championship” or whatever the heck they called that thing earlier this year, that DID cause some to squirm.

The big problem with that “Baseball Classic,” by the way, is that it was the brainchild of MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, a man who is universally disrespected, and no one else really bought into it. I don’t mean to sound like I’m making excuses, but at least HALF of the players asked to play for the U.S. begged off. Their agents simply told them not to compete, afraid they were exposing themselves to the risk of injury just before the MLB season began.

A few others simply didn’t want to skip Spring training (at least that was their excuse; who wouldn’t want a chance to skip Spring ball to play REAL baseball?)

My heartiest congrats to the Japanese, who I’m sure deserved it (and I believe they sent their best players to the tournament for real; they still have some sense of patriotism over pedestrianism, I gather). But this thing’s NEVER going to be taken seriously until and unless the BEST players from all countries compete. It needs to be expected of them.

I don’t understand why they can’t have this during the Winter. There are certainly enough warm-weather (and indoor) venues to handle it. It would get rid of the problem of having it just before the MLB season starts, and maybe the best guys would eventually see that they MUST compete for honor and country.