Re: Tension rod bracing

By providing the dampers, the energy is dissipated which could result in the conections
having a lesser tendency to break. That is the concept I am trying to find more material to do more work on. Although dampers are velocity dependent, they serve to reduce story accelerations and hence forces considerably.

Ganesh

On 6/18/06, Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> wrote:

On Jun 18, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Ganesh Thiagarajan wrote:

> Do you have any thoughts for or against this concept?
>  If tightness and lack of a dissipating mechanism is an issue, the
> dampers could serve
>  that purpose.
When connections break, connection strength and ductility is the issue,
not damping.
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org