Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: welding nuts follow-up

Steve ? you lost me when you started talking about A588 steel.  Aren?t we talking about A563?

I have heard recommendations by more than one respected member of the steel design community that nuts ?should not? be welded, but I believe the only code compliance issue here is that welding A563 material is not prequalified by AWS.  That means that qualification tests (per AWS Section 4) must be done with an approved WPS to establish the weldability.  There is more involved than just providing a WPS ? the weld produced with that WPS must be tested.

I have a situation where a welded A563 Grade A nut is being used as a structural connection, so the issue for me is much more critical than tack welding.

Karen Roberts, SE

San Diego, CA

The real dilemma here is the "weldability" of the ASTM A563 Grade DH3 = nut. Just a quick look into the ASTM Specification for A588/A 588M-01 = material weldability, the use of a welding procedure suitable for the = grade of steel and intended service is specified. The specification also = directs you to ASTM specification A6/A6M appendix X3 for the weldability = of steel and its references. Like I mentioned the other day, the = qualifying document here will be a welding procedure that covers the = base material of the A563 grade DH3 nut.=20

As I have more time, I will research more."=20

Steve Gordin SE

Irvine CA