Small office use of Autodesk Revit Structural

Are there many (or any) small offices including sole proprietors who are switching from AutoCAD ADT or stock AutoCAD to Revit Structural? I am currently using ADT 2007 and finding that it meets virtually all of my needs, but if the community is moving toward integration of design / analysis tools and BIM coordination it may pay to upgrade now at a lower price than wait for a few years. I just received a Demo version but was surprised when I was told that to upgrade from ADT 2007 to Revit Structural Version 3 I would have to pay something around $1,250.00.

I would like to get a feel for those who are considering this change. I have been following the integration of software such as RISA 3D and Revit but don’t work on models of this caliber to justify the change yet. However, is it worthwhile to bite the bullet if Autodesk ultimately plans to eliminate ADT in favor of their building component programs.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

C-41250 Exp. March 31, 2007