Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: welding nuts follow-up

Why not use Loctite?
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Daryl Richardson wrote:
Fellow engineers,

        I can see two reasons to tack weld the nut in place: to prevent the nut from turning while you turn the bolt from the other side; and to prevent the nut from falling off or out of alignment while you try to install the nut from the other side.

        Thinking outside the box, there are a couple of solutions to both problems.

1.)  Put a spot weld on the base metal beside the nut.  This would not affect the nut but would prevent it from turning.

2.) Tack weld a small tab of steel to the main member beside the nut to prevent the nut from turning.

3.) Stick the nut in place on the back of the main member with silicone calking.  This will keep the nut in place while you thread the bolt through from the other side.  It may not prevent the nut from turning and it certainly will not resist any serious shear load applied to the bolt.

4.) You could probably stick on (with silicone calking) both the nut and a small bar of scrap metal jammed between the nut and, say a nearby beam flange, that would even resist serious bolt torque.

        Just a couple of thoughts.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson