RE: Cricket Explained

From: Anantha Narayan C.K. [mailto:anant_27(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Cricket Explained

US is by far the most welcoming country for immigrants, it is a land of immigrants. However, the greater number of immigrants is making people more at home. They no longer have to make american friends, get used to american culture because its easy to find someone of your of native. The previous generation of immigrants had to get used to the american style and adapted better than the current generation.

I think that for LEGAL immigrants it’s pretty much the same here as it has always been.

New immigrants to this country have ALWAYS congregated with their own kind after arriving here. So you had “chinatowns” in most major cities, as well as areas that were exclusively Italian, Polish, Irish, German, Eastern European Jews, etc. I don’t think this has changed.

The critical thing is the succeeding generation. Typically, the first generation—those who were born here or came here when they were children—are somewhat “transitional.” They learn the language of the “old country” and keep some of the customs, but they have one foot securely in American culture.

The next generation after that is just American through and through.

Of course, America also adopts the “best” of other cultures as its own, especially food. Many “ethnic” dishes were actually invented here by immigrants who took the cuisine of the mother country and combined it or adapted it to American tastes (e.g. “chop suey” which is NOT Chinese, or “burritos,” which are more “Tex” than “Mex”).

In the end, we’re not really a “nation of immigrants” at all. We are a nation of people whose FOREBEARS immigrated, sometimes generations ago. My “Polhemus” ancestor who first came to this country arrived here in the 1650s. Even “native Americans” (an idiotic term, since “native” means “born in”) have an advantage only in years. Their forebears are every bit as much “immigrants” as mine; they just got here a lot (okay, a couple of millennia) earlier.