Welding Nuts

In lieu of welding the nuts, the fabricator has proposed welding on a short section of HSS 2 1/4 x 2 x 3/16.  This will be welded over the bolt hole of the splice plate with the axis of the HSS parallel to the hole axis.  The nuts (for 1" bolts) will be inserted inside this section of HSS and a tab of the outer section of HSS will be folded over to retain the nut.  There is a little "slop" around the nut within the HSS segment, allowing for some "fit-up".  The HSS pieces will be welded with nuts and bolts pre-inserted to help in "fit-up".

Seems like a good idea but we'll see how practical it turns out to be.  I'll keep you posted.

Bob Garner, S.E.

R. Garner

Moffatt & Nichol

Tel.:  (619) 220-6050