RE: Nut Keepers, or Welding Nuts

Good morning Jim,

This is what the fabricator proposes to do.  He even said he would test assemble one of the connections in the shop to verify this procedure.  I look forward to seeing how this works during erection.  BTW, the fabricator is AISC certified for major and minor bridge construction, and has been quite knowledgeable and cooperative.

Bob

From: Jim Getaz [mailto:jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:34 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Nut Keepers, or Welding Nuts

            Bob,

                        Our experience with keepers is that threading the bolt into the nut in the field is easier if the nut is held tightly with a bolt through the hole when the keeper is attached. A little bit of misalignment or rotation makes a big difference. It may not be your place to suggest this to the fabricator, but the erector may want to do so.

            Jim Getaz

            Winchester, Virginia