RE: Open building with pitched roof

Nels,

Thanks for your concern.  The last report I heard was the fire is still only 5% to 10% contained.  There are some homes I have heard that are in danger in Oak Creek Canyon, but, again the last I have heard, is that none have been lost yet.

Generally we get some rain in the winter, except last winter there was virtually none.  The “monsoon” season generally starts after the first of July.  Last year the monsoons only brought lightning, and very little rain.  I’m afraid this is the beginning of a very long fire season around here.  My wife and I are a bit nervous as we bought 2.5 acres near Cottonwood (20 miles from Sedona) a year ago and hope to build starting next winter.  We hope the property survives this fire season.  I was out on a country road last weekend target shooting, and won’t do it again until we get some moisture.  It was really scary how dry everything is.  Otherwise, we are doing fine, and thank you very much for asking.  We really love the area and hope we can stay, although the market for structural engineering is very poor here, unless you charge $20.00 per hour.  It’s very hard to compete here working for a larger company.  My wife has a very good job, although it keeps her traveling a fair amount (7 states).

Hopefully, there is a silver lining to this fire.  I am from Wyoming, and remember the fires in Yellowstone Park back in ’88, I think.  Anyway, 10 years later when I was living in Jackson Hole, many areas of the park were lush and green.  Burning off a lot of the old pine allowed the grasses and young trees to grow.  The wildlife seems to be thriving in many of the burned areas.  I don’t know if that will happen hear as it takes much longer for new growth due to the arid nature of the area.

It has definitely changed around here in 45 years.  If you ever get back here be sure you get in touch.

Thanks again

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.