From: Charley Hamilton [mailto:chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Stucco or GWB as shear wall in seismic zone 4 (1997 UBC/2001
CBC)

Bill -

Do you have any compatibility issues (e.g. flexible elements) that
would require more drift to activate the design capacity than the
GWB could accomodate before loss of capacity?

Personally, I am uncomfortable with something that has very little
post-peak strength, which is about all I recall of GWB wall behavior.
Just remember that the earthquake won't know that the system is only
allowed to drift a small amount before the capacity falls off.  I know
that doesn't help much with numerical justification, but there you
have it.

Charley