tile buckling- cracking

Charles,
Did you take up some tiles to look at the slab?
Is this the ONLY place they are cracking or buckling?
Type of foundation, monolithic edge or separate wall ftg?
How close are the trees?

Also not sure I have a clear picture of the cut and fill site
situation.

Other causes or contributors to tiles buckling and cracking are large
runs of tiles without an expansion joint. I know nobody does this but
the TIle Council reccomends it. Also, delamination can occur in
installations on SOG that have a steel troweled finish rather then the
preferred broom finish.

I also agree initially with Mathew, shrinkage and curling will be most
restrained by the walls and the assumed footing (even more so with a
monolithic footing). This can happen not just after the slab was
placed, but throughout the life of the slab, with a high water table
or moisture seeping up from a high water table or poor drainage around
the house, I assume LA has a very LOW water table so it is more likely
runoff from the street or the roof. But does it ever rain there?

Mathew wrote: Water has more than likely migrated under slab...and
with top surface of
slab exposed to conditioned space curling of the slab can occur (top
surface is dryer than recently wet bottom and therefore shrinks
relative
to bottom causing curling of slab).

=20

As water/moisture under slab recedes and subgrade dries out, curling
will dissipate.

Andrew Kester, PE
Lake Mary, FL