Re: RE: STUCCO AND WALLBOARD IN E-QUAKE

=====================
From: Bill Allen <T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net>
Date: Fri Jun 23 07:37:16 CDT 2006
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: STUCCO AND WALLBOARD IN E-QUAKE

After all the houses and apartments I inspected or walked through after the Northridge quake, the one thread that connected all the damage and differentiated red tags from yellow and green tags was one simple difference.  PLYWOOD shear walls.  END OF STORY.

Don't be foolish.  Stucco and drywall are a joke for all but the lightest and lowest structures when the shaking begins, regardless of the code value. I wouldn't go near it.

Don

Blank
Stucco here is reinforced with expandedmetal or woven wire lath stapled to the framing.
Now, whether it gets installed properly isanother issue.
Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLENDESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers