Re: tile buckling- cracking

Andrew,
  Re: cut and fill, this is a common procedure in hillside areas in S. California where a flat pad is constructed for the house construction by cutting away part of the hillside and using this cut material to fill in the rest of the site. The house ends up being partially on fill soils and partially on cut soils (native, stiffer soils). You can see the problem: the fill part will often settle more than the cut part and slab footings will crack along a line where the fill and cut meet.
  Re: my slab problem, I related everything I observed that may have contributed to the tile buckling including why I did not think this was the problem, hoping greater minds could see something I missed. I like the curling of the slab theory, although I never though this would occur in a well seasoned slab (40-years old).
  The slab has a thickened edge often place separately but intended to act monolithicly. There are 30-foot tall birch trees 7-feet from where the tile buckled. Water under the slab is a distinct possibility.
  I am going to ask my client, the insurance company, to have the tiles removed where the has buckled to see if the slab is cracked, or has curled, or maybe collapsed over a sink hole. Will relate my findings.
  Thanks for your response and thoughts.
Charles Laines, S.E.
Long Beach, CA