From: Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 12:03 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Stucco or GWB as shear wall in seismic zone 4 (1997 UBC/2001 CBC)

Bill,

I would try and convince him that plywood/OSB provides a lot more residual strength to resist seismic forces, especially racking action in a house..its just to brittle.  Like Charley said, I am concerned about using GWB because of its lack of post peak strengthen beyond peak strength.

If I was to design with GWB it would have to be limited to a single story house (no tile roof), lots of walls so the seismic forces in the walls were less than 30 pounds/ft ..not the higher values shown in the UBC (also shear wall lengths no less than 8 feet long) and I would probably look at using an R value much less than 4.5 (97 UBC), probably closer to 2.0 (I believe R = 2.0 in the current IBC).  At this point, I don't think GWB would work for the design loads unless you had a lot of long walls.

I think LA City limits GWB to 30 pounds a foot.

Mike Cochran S.E.  SECB