Re: Stucco or GWB as shear wall in seismic zone 4 (1997 UBC/2001 CBC)

Bill-
The hard numbers are:
Per LA amendments to the CBC:
Stucco = 90 lbs/ft allowed in top story only
G.B. = 30 lbs/ft allowed in top story only
Per CBC Chapter 25 (in Vol. 1):
Stucco = 0.5 x 180 = 90 lbs/ft for sesimic zones 3 & 4
G.B = 0.5 x 125 = 62.5 lbs/ft for seismic zones 3 & 4 with EN & intermediate nailing @ 4" o.c.
     = 0.5 x 100 = 50 lbs/ft for seismic zones 3 & 4 with EN & intermediate nailing @ 7" o.c.
Not allowed to support loads imposed by masonry or concrete construction.

By state law, City of Riverside can not allow more capacity but could do what LA has done in reducing it.

With these values, you would need a lot of wall length which may be your "hard" numbers.

I concur with others' comments about the low residual strengths but understand your attempts to give your client what he wants.  The couple of times I've had a client push on this issue, I've written them a letter identifying the drawbacks of the brittle finishes. In each case they "saw the light".

Good luck with your discussions!
Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley CA