SIMPLIFIED BASE SHEAR DESIGN

Hello,

The other day I had a talk with an engieer that mentioned he was using the simplified method to calculate the base shear for wood structures, Also he said, he usually uses 100% of the lateral force. In others words he does not reduces the forces by the 1/1.4 allowed by the ASD load combinations. He also mentioned, that this won't impact the cost of the project and that the builing code's intent is to provide minimum design loads. I believe this is just too conservative. Any thoughts? Thakns in advance.

Eliseo Arellano.