RE: Small office use of Autodesk Revit Structural

Mark, see my comments related to my discussion with Autodesk last summer
about Revit.
You made a good point - no one wants to invest in unproductive learning
experience. It is not a worthwhile investment without a reasonable cost and
reduced learning curve. There has to be a major advantage to bring this to
the small and mid-size office.
The architect's I've discussed this with are more interested in being
productive and getting billing out than they are even to install and learn
the changes from ADT 2006 to ADT 2007 which focus more on 3D shapes since
Autodesk created greater ability to extrude a 3D shape. This is somewhat the
basic ideology behind Revit - working with extruded shapes in 3D. The
software (ADT) is becoming more flexible, but it is very difficult to jump
into when you feel as if you're drowning in the number and complexity in
customized configurations.
My focus lately has been to explore:
3D modeling to assure that the architects design is accurate when it comes
to bottom of beam elevations.
The use of keynoting which will require customizing wall style toolbars to
include proprietary shearwall systems so that I can simplify the process of
job-specific detailing and the simplification of creating schedules (such as
shear wall schedules).
I've just finished working on a creative Concrete outdoor Sanctuary and
Columbarium that looks like a bantered back retaining wall. Having 3D shapes
that allow me to extrude or pull handles to change the shape from a
volumetric solid (rectangular) to one that looks like a bantered back
concrete wall is very appealing when it comes time to create a walk through
series of slides.
I do pay for this by not producing as much as others produce but then after
20 something years in this business, I am about ready to start slowing down
and enjoying the creative nature of the design. I'm just not that interested
in getting rich as an engineer - it ain't going to happen, but I paid off my
home and have very little overhead and as long as my wife works, I have a
good (no longer great) health care plan through her job as a nurse.
Bottom line - it is fun and I do like the toys!

Best Regards,
Dennis