From: Eliseo Arellano [mailto:eliseoas(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 1:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SIMPLIFIED BASE SHEAR DESIGN

Hello,

The other day I had a talk with an engieer that mentioned he was using
the simplified method to calculate the base shear for wood structures,
Also he said, he usually uses 100% of the lateral force. In others words
he does not reduces the forces by the 1/1.4 allowed by the ASD load
combinations. He also mentioned, that this won't impact the cost of the
project and that the builing code's intent is to provide minimum design
loads. I believe this is just too conservative. Any thoughts? Thakns in
advance.

Eliseo Arellano.