De: Eliseo Arellano [mailto:eliseoas(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Enviado el: Friday, June 23, 2006 3:15 PM
Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Asunto: SIMPLIFIED BASE SHEAR DESIGN

Hello,

The other day I had a talk with an engieer that mentioned he was using the
simplified method to calculate the base shear for wood structures, Also he
said, he usually uses 100% of the lateral force. In others words he does not
reduces the forces by the 1/1.4 allowed by the ASD load combinations. He
also mentioned, that this won't impact the cost of the project and that the
builing code's intent is to provide minimum design loads. I believe this is
just too conservative. Any thoughts? Thakns in advance.

Eliseo Arellano.