RE: wood floor framing

Brian,
>From what I understand, your client wants to use 2x oak planks AS THE
DECKING for the floor of a house. Is the floor to be exposed like
cabin style? Are the exterior walls wood stud or CMU? What will the
final floor finish be?

It would be a waste of wood to do multi-layers of plywood or other
techniques, unless you got something really special going on. However,
2x laid flat are not going to span 4´oc, I would go 2´ or maybe a
little more (I have not calc´d it). If you are using oak 2x, that
stuff is stiff as a board, pun intended. Depending on the beam spans
and depths, 4x beams may be over designed but may be more
architecturally pleasing. (FWIW, I built a deck walkway with soft ole
S Pine and it is a single simple span of 22" and it does not deflect
noticeably when I run on it (I cannot notice it), and I am about 2.5
bills large (gosh that is embarassing)....)

Make them screw and glue the decking, you and the owner won´t regret
it in a few years when they still have a nice quite floor. If it is
not going to be exposed you can have them leave small gaps between the
boards especially at the ends where they tend to rotate slightly and
rub and make noises... As do nails when they loosen up.

Not much to it other then that, there are tons of books on wood
framing showing all types of typical details and photos, etc., check
online or your local home megastore for that matter. I can´t hold your
hand too much more because you are in FL and this is up my alley, you
can always sub it out to me :)  Let me know if you need any specific
info, I am all for learning but.....

Andrew Kester, PE
Lake Mary, FL