From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 8:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: property line situation

I missed the original post, but if you're talking about adverse possession, my memory is that the encroacher/squatter must make their act openly and plainly, such that the owner has a reasonable expectation of seeing the encroachment. The act must also be deliberate, with the intent to use the land which the encroacher does not own. Good records are necessary, as is normally a large amount of time, though I believe it may vary from 7 years to 30 years depending on the state. As they say on the internet IANAL, this is just from memory of a surveying class I took in Maryland, many years ago.

Jordan

Polhemus, Bill wrote:

I don’t think you can use this to “sneak” into ownership of property that isn’t yours, however. I seem to recall from my days as a survey party chief, that this only pertained if it was done with full knowledge by the original owner that the encroachment was taking place.

As it is right now, only the government can come and take your property without due process (e.g. Kelo).