Re: Small office use of Autodesk Revit Structural

I find it interesting that this is the editorial topic (or similar to) in the Structure magazine that just landed on my desk today. Frankly, I would be surprised if BIM worked at all for most residential construction. Not because of its capabilities, but because of the people in the field. Most residential crews are (effectively) unsupervised by people who are trained to understand how the building systems interoperate, or even how to read a set of prints, except for the dimensions. Naturally, this is a generalization, and I know builders for whom this is not the case - but they are few. BIM is just getting to be where mechanical modeling was over a decade ago. Also, based on that experience, there may be very little use for BIM in the shop that does small, custom work. 3D modeling works well for two cases - large projects which are so complex that 2D renderings are difficult and complex in order to accurately portray the condition, and where you will be building many (nearly) identical units. Building a model for a one-off, small job is a task which is disproportionately large compared to the documentation needed to construct the building with the tradespeople in the field.

I would be curious to know how close Don's project in the field conforms to the project in Revit if there isn't a full-time GC supervisor on site. In other words, is the time spent modeling, checking, and documenting the interfaces of the system sufficiently communicated to - and read by - the subs in the field, or do they look at the picture and the corner dimensions and go from there?

Jordan

Yi Yang wrote:

I'm curious to see how Revit works, both for structural engineers and architects, on small residential projects.  From the limited amount of information I know about Revit and the demos I've see, it doesn't  seem to be flexible enough for very irregular framings which are very common on custom residential projects.

Don, it would be great if you can share your experience with Revit on your next hillside house project.

Thanks.

Y i Y a n g, S. E. STRUCTURAL DIVISION
SUMMIT ENGINEERING INC.
707.527.0775.x162