Re: San Bernadino wind speed

On 26 Jun 2006 at 16:52, Sharon wrote:

> Listers,
>
> As the City is not being helpful, maybe someone who is familiar with
> this area can help. Based on the 2001 CBC and local requirements, what
> is the minimum basic wind speed at the I-10 and I-215 intersection?
>
> TIA
>
> Sharon Robertson, P.E.
> Arcon Engineers
> 5625 Ruffin Rd, Ste 130
> San Diego, CA 92123
> 858/503-7854
> 858/503-7858 fax
> Visit us on the web at www.arconengineers.com

You've got the Cajon Pass special corridor right there.  That's got
quite a funnel effect.  Paul Feather's suggestion of 100 mph is a pretty
good one.  You could go up to 110 mph if you've got this setup in a
spreadsheet program and check both speeds to see the effects of each.
Either way I would use an Exposure C for most areas unless you've
inspected the site and are reasonably comfortable that you've got a hill
or some other significant obstruction between the site and Cajon Pass.

You might contact the County Building Official and see what they want for
the area around the Wrightwood turnoff or the truck weigh station.  That might
give you a bit of help from an official source.

Take Care,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.