Re: Timber floor framing

As we have previously discussed, the Western Woods Use Book covers this topic in some detail.  When laid perpendicular, the shear capacity is developed by means of a moment couple at each pair of fasteners in each board at each joist. Spreading the joists out to 4' oc will drastically reduce the density of these connections & leave you a pretty small shear capacity.  With lots of perimeter shear wall its shouldn't be a problem but YMMV.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.