timber knee braces

Hi
  I looked at a hillside house built in the early 1980's - the house is 2 story with 8x8 and 8x12 post and beam construction with simpson buckets at the joints to level the floor for the house( like a tall pony wall on the down slope side of the structure).  the post and beam system is a classic soft story.  to brace the structure against earthquake loads A contractor wants me to design knee braces for the post and timber frame below.   to design the timber frame the redundancy factor is R=2.8  -- here's the question in steel design for diagonal bracing you are allowed to do any system on 1&2 story bldgs if you design the brace for Omega times the design force  is there a similar provision for timber knee braces?
Thanks
Tim Rudolph PE
Pinyon Engineering