From: refugio rochin [mailto:fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Moment Connections

Anyone have experience with Steel Beam to Concrete Moment Connections ?
I have a W21x166 coming into a Concrete Column 12x32".  The Beam enters the 12" side.
So the beam sticks out past the sides of the column a bit.

So I am trying to come up with a best way to detail this connection.

1)  I bring the beam into the column, embedded inside the column, and provide long dowels through both beam flanges vertically, then restrain the whole system with lots of ties.  Also to contain the temperature and Shrinkage stresses.

2) the argument against the #1 connection, is that the difference in concrete and steel materials will cause alot of cracking in the concrete.  So the second idea is to use a huge plate, at the face of the column, weld the column to the plate, and then use anchors into the column to restrain the moments, spreading the load a bit farther apart.

I see advantages to both systems.  The first system takes into it, the compression from the wall continuing above, and removes any possible shear at an exterior face, bringing it vertically into the column.  Whereas the second system is able to spread the load.

Personally I feel more comfortable with the first system, but I would like some suggestions or comments from experience.

Best Regards,
Refugio Rochin