Re: Town homes project pricing

Liability periods are set by statute & in CA you are almost sure to be sued when you get involved in a project with a HOA.  Talk to you carrier about this.
Chuck Utzman,P.E.

IRV FRUCHTMAN wrote:
Sasha:
Perhaps you can reduce your insurance cost by setting
a time limit when a lawsuit can be brought against
you, say to a year after the end of construction. I
believe this is called "period of repose". Your
insurance co can help you write the appropriate
paragraph in your contract.
Irv

--- "Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson" <sasha(--nospam--at)engstruc.com>
wrote:

Dear list:

The architectural client asked me to provide a fee
proposal for townhouse
project consisting of 29 units out of which four
buildings are 4 unit
buildings each and the rest are a single family
homes with 3 to4 inches gap
between them.  There are total of 4 separate
building designs.
Below is the information I have to date:

.The project budget is approx. $3.4 million
.Consultants' & Architect's fees anticipated to be
approx. 13% of
construction or $450,000 total.
.The architect anticipates approximately 7 months in
design and
documentation and then 20 months under construction.
.The project is in California, West Sacramento
county, non-expansive clays,
spread footing foundation.
.The rear of the 1 acre property is on a slight
slope and is adjacent to the
railroad tracks
.These are town homes and NOT condominiums, the
architect ahs a complete
indemnification in their contract with the developer
in case of the condo
conversion.  They suggested that we add the similar
language in our contract
with them.  However, I am told that there will a
home owner's association.
.The developer does not have a wrap around insurance
policy for the project
and requires 1mln/2mln aggregate policy for all the
members of the design
team.  I currently have 250k/500k policy and I
estimated that it would cost
me 3k/yr for 10 years to get a project specific
rider, if I can get one.

I don't know how reasonable the construction
estimate is.  Assuming that the
estimate is on the money what would be the
appropriate percentage for the
structural fee?  I can estimate the design fee for
the 4 separate building
types, but how do I estimate the fee for the rest of
the buildings?
Considering the additional cost of insurance does it
even have any sense in
pursuing this project?  I order to make it worth my
while the fee should be
in order of 2% of the construction cost.

What are other things that I have to be watching out
for?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson, SE
Enginious Structures