RE: Moment Connections

No, I have not done what I have suggested as a possibility.  You will have to be comfortable with any option you choose.  I'm just trying to give you constructive options that you may not have thought of.  I have done your second option with MUCH lighter sections with good results.  I'd say that you could do the second option if you had enough room for the anchors.

Chris Towne

-----Original Message-----
From: refugio rochin [mailto:fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Moment Connections

what do you think about the second option?
you have done similar work?

On 6/29/06, Chris Towne <ctowne(--nospam--at)chaptech.com> wrote:
A problem with the first option could be getting the rebar placed within the required tolerances to thread them through the flanges when setting the beam.  We have a hard enough time getting contractors to get anchor bolts put in correctly even with oversized holes in the base plates.

Have you thought about using shear studs?  If you can cope the flanges inside the column, weld the bottom flange to your bearing plate with shear studs and have shear studs welded to the top flange.  I'm not sure if you could get enough studs to transfer your load, but that could be something you could look into.

Chris Towne