RE: Town homes project pricing

Tell me about fruitless proposals!  My boss came to me two weeks ago and told me we needed to get more structural work as billing is down.  Then the next day told me no more work for realtors, no more residential inspections and no more FHA foundation inspections.  Too fraught with liability he said.   Yea, O.K., then he told me that he found out about another retired engineer in the area that is competing with us now.  He said his rate is about $30.00 an hour.  Must be supplementing retirement with a little pocket change.  I also have another retired engineer and a retired architect to compete with all charging small hourly rates.  Really hard to compete with my rate set by my employer, a large civil / surveying firm.  Needless to say it is nowhere near the $30 to $50 dollar range.

Employment is tenuous at best at the moment.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying