masonry vertical stresses

anyone dealt with stresses in masonry wall vertical stresses?

it is easy to approximate how a wall will behave according to
horizontal stresses, however, for vertical stresses, with the
intermittent spacing of reinforcement and grout, how does one account
for vertical shear in a block wall?

perhaps this question is answered in ACI 530, but i am being a little
lazy today.  the question popped in my head, so i thought i would ask
on this site.  i have a spreadsheet i created for the horizontal
purpose, so i am going to adapt it to the vertical purpose.

if anyone would like this spreadsheet, see efuge.pbwiki.com  the link
increase de,
and then free structural engineering spreadsheets.