Re: Structual Design of Glass

 Julius Blum & Co. literature has a report by Wiss, Janney, Elstner Asssociates stating that their test results showed that 4' long sections of 1/2" tempered glass in shoe moulding could support concentrated loads of 400 to 800 pounds at 42" from a referenced floor surface.  The hard part is anchoring the shoe assemblies. I imagine their web site shows much the same as their paper catalog.  www.juliusblum.com

The site below has information on different applications of shoe mouldings to support glass rails.
http://www.wagnercompanies.com/site/Viewer.aspx?iid=1549&mname=Article&rpid=524

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

"Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
List,

I'm having a little problem with a glass guard rail for a church
balcony. They don't want a handrail as that would obstruct the line of
view.

Does anybody have any experience designing glass or have any references
they can point me to?

thanks,
Gary

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp