From: Brian [mailto:bsh117(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: structural light guage framing

List,

I just wanted some opinions from some fellow engineers
out there.

As a consulting structural engineer, I have never been
asked to design light guage framing on my projects.
I've always sized some typical curtain wall or soffit
members through a catalog and placed a general depth
on my drawings.  I would leave it up to a light gage
specialty engineer to design these areas and specify
that on my drawings.

Recently, my boss has decided that our company will be
designing all light gauge framing, including stud
size, gauge, and screw attachment for soffit, fascia,
and curtain wall framing.

Right now, I'm feeling kind of uncomfortable about
this situation.  Should I be?  I don't feel that I
know enough about a light guage system that I should
be designing them.  Is sizing these members as easy as
looking them up in the catalog and I'm over reacting?

I would love to hear your input.

Thanks,

Brian