Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: structural light guage framing

=====================
From: Brian <bsh117(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jul 05 12:39:31 CDT 2006
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: structural light guage framing

Brian,

As an Architect, I design that stuff all the time.  Its no more or less difficult than regular hot-rolled stuff, but the connections need to be a bit more fastidious and you most likely are not up to speed about field details used most often.  The volcabulary is very different, but once you see a few installations you will fully "get it".  Think about it as if you are designing steel to be installed by a carpenter, with detailing more like wood and less like hot-rolled.   Detailing will be a learning curve, but from an engineering standpoint, its pretty straight forward.

Areas to be concerned about are welding and also brittle fracture of steel that is punched messing with your section.

Don

List,

I just wanted some opinions from some fellow engineers
out there.

As a consulting structural engineer, I have never been
asked to design light guage framing on my projects.
I've always sized some typical curtain wall or soffit
members through a catalog and placed a general depth
on my drawings.  I would leave it up to a light gage
specialty engineer to design these areas and specify
that on my drawings.

Recently, my boss has decided that our company will be
designing all light gauge framing, including stud
size, gauge, and screw attachment for soffit, fascia,
and curtain wall framing.

Right now, I'm feeling kind of uncomfortable about
this situation.  Should I be?  I don't feel that I
know enough about a light guage system that I should
be designing them.  Is sizing these members as easy as
looking them up in the catalog and I'm over reacting?

I would love to hear your input.

Thanks,

Brian