Tuckpointing

Hi Bruce:

Nels Roselund is one of our profession's premier experts here, and hopefully he will be able to provide more, but let me add my input.

Tuckpointing, I believe, is also referred to as re-pointing.  This is the process of removing by scraping any loose mortar between the exposed bricks on the interior and exterior faces of the masonry walls.  This is very beneficial for structural and architectural concerns.

Re-pointing restores the capabilites that were lost to the mortar from a variety of causes.  It is critical to shear and bearing capacies of the combined system, as well as fire resistance and water-proofing.

You may also be aware that in order to proceed with structural design, re-design or seismic upgrades you need push-pull tests, cores and compressive tests of the brick,  cores with compressive tests of the grout, cores with compressive test of the concrete for the existing footings, scans of the walls/footings to show reinforcement and coupon tests of the reinforcement.

I'd be curious if the use contemplated is Educational, Hospital, or ?

Respectfully,
Bob Freeman, Architect
Structural Designer
Integrated Design Services, Inc.