Steel connection design

Under the 2003 IBC (i.e. outside of California), what are the code requirements relating to steel connections that are required to be detailed by the engineer of record on the design drawings?

I cannot find anything directly in the 2003 IBC or ASCE 7-02 that is comparable to the UBC requirement that "connections that resist design seismic forces shall be designed and detailed on the drawings".  However, the AISC seismic provisions are required to be followed when R exceeds 3 or in Seismic Design Categories D, E, or F; and the AISC Seismic Provisions require the "configuration, material specifications, and sizes" to be shown for connections that are part of the seismic load resisting systems.  So, it appears that connections must be detailed for those cases.

This would infer that the connection design can be deferred to be by the fabricator for a structure in Seismic Design Categories A, B, and C with R=3 (or lower).

- Just want to confirm my interpretation.

Bill
William Sherman - CH2M HILL / Denver
Structural Engineering Technology Discipline Leader
- Civil / Federal Engineering Group (EPC/EDG)
william.sherman(--nospam--at)ch2m.com
720.286.2792