RE: "wind rose"/ Nigeria

don't tell the asce 7 committee about this...

From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: "wind rose"/ Nigeria

The wind rose shows the relative frequency of the direction the wind is coming from.  It can also show the ranges and percentages in wind speeds during the time period.  I assume that you need the 3 second gust or fastest mile wind velocity for determining the lateral forces on a structure.  I am not sure how you can use the wind rose to determine these velocities.  For more information on wind roses, see:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/climate/windrose.html
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bro/roshelp.htm

raincat1(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
We have a project in Nigeria, and the we were given a "wind rose" for wind loading. Anyone familiar with the use of the "wind rose"? Thanks for any input!

Rainier Catubig
San Diego, California