thin structural slab design

I am designing a thin elevated slab for an entry area on a condo project.  The slab is six bays long (17’ each) by one bay wide (13’).  Due to some restrictions on thickness, I started analyzing a 5” thick slab with one mat of rebar bearing on 8” diameter concrete piers.  Punching shear is giving me fits.  Is there any merit to simply adding some additional horizontal rebar over the columns and calculating shear friction to resist the punching shear?  In a 5” slab and with the construction budget, hoops or stud rails are probably not an option.

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE, SE

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

www.brpae.com