Re: thin structural slab design

Bruce,

It fails in punching shear, ductility and deflection and there is nothing you can do to make it work in this configuration.. I have never seen a 2way column supported flat slab with a single layer of reinforcement. It just does not work, let alone the fact that the slab is far too thin even if it was reinforced at both faces.

You can make a 7" slab reinforced on both faces work for everything but punching shear. But normal design rules preclude the use of punching shear reinforcement in slabs shallower than 8". You might be able to justify a structural steel shear head in the 7" slabs.