Re: Structual Design of Glass

Roger points out a very good web site for the attachment of the glass. It has been a few years, but the last time I worked on a design like this, we required testing. I was amazed as to how far it deflected. Once the test apparatus is set up, you can test a lot of handrail. You don't have to test all of it, but you do need something that is statistically significant. Testing gives you a high degree of assurance that the entire system will work as you have designed it.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Roger Davis <sds_rdavis(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Structual Design of Glass
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:49:35 -0700 (PDT)

Julius Blum & Co. literature has a report by Wiss, Janney, Elstner Asssociates stating that their test results showed that 4' long sections of 1/2" tempered glass in shoe moulding could support concentrated loads of 400 to 800 pounds at 42" from a referenced floor surface. The hard part is anchoring the shoe assemblies. I imagine their web site shows much the same as their paper catalog. www.juliusblum.com

The site below has information on different applications of shoe mouldings to support glass rails. http://www.wagnercompanies.com/site/Viewer.aspx?iid=1549&mname=Article&rpid=524

  Roger Davis
  Architect
  SDS Architects, Inc.

"Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
  List,

I'm having a little problem with a glass guard rail for a church
balcony. They don't want a handrail as that would obstruct the line of
view.

Does anybody have any experience designing glass or have any references
they can point me to?

thanks,
Gary

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp