Re: SPAM-LOW: Re: Structual Design of Glass

Hello Gary,

Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 9:14:03 AM, you wrote:

GLHaA> Thanks, everybody!

GLHaA> I've learned more about glass in the past 10 days than I've ever learned
GLHaA> before.   Most of what I previously knew came from looking at the bottom
GLHaA> of a glass.  There certainly appear to be some grey areas and not a lot
GLHaA> of structural design info available.

GLHaA> As part of my studies, my research assistant (wife) and I went to a
GLHaA> local hotel that has a restaurant on the 33rd floor overlooking Niagara
GLHaA> Falls.  The bar area has several glass guard rails about 42" high and
GLHaA> 9/16" to 5/8" thick with no vertical posts or top rails as the rows of
GLHaA> tables are tiered to allow better viewing.

GLHaA> I also noticed that the building windows had a coating applied which
GLHaA> extended 6' up from the floor in some cases and full height in others.
GLHaA> There was a slight difference in glass shading which isn't noticeable
GLHaA> until you look for it.  The people who apply this stuff call it security
GLHaA> film which comes in different thicknesses from 0.5mm to 1.5mm.  It can
GLHaA> be applied before the windows are installed or afterwards.

GLHaA> The main purpose is to prevent shattering of the glass but also assist
GLHaA> in it acting as a guard rail.  These coatings are big business now,
GLHaA> after the Oklahoma City bombing due to the significant number of deaths
GLHaA> and injuries from glass shrapnel.  Unfortunately, it is very hard to get
GLHaA> any numbers that are meaningful to a structural engineer.  They tell me
GLHaA> it will not tear or shred but how can I evaluate its effect on 1/2" or
GLHaA> 3/4" tempered glass?

GLHaA> Anyway, my search continues but, as usual, I also look forward to
GLHaA> further insights from the listers here.

GLHaA> thanks,
GLHaA> Gary

GLHaA> ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
GLHaA> *   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
GLHaA> *
GLHaA> *   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
GLHaA> *   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
GLHaA> *   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
GLHaA> *
GLHaA> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
GLHaA> *
GLHaA> *   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
GLHaA> *   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
GLHaA> *   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
GLHaA> *   site at: http://www.seaint.org
GLHaA> ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********

Be careful about security film applied to glass (and exposed) it works
as intended, until the film is scratched.  A much better alternative
is a laminated type of glass construction, where the film is embedded
between two layers of glass.  This provides protection for the film
and insures the integrity of the film.  However, with this type of
construction a bead of silicone is needed to bond the glass to the
framing.  (My experience at the time was primarily with cladding not
handrails).

There are many glass manufacturers in this type of business.  I am
familiar with some Viracon products, but it has been several years
since I worked on impact glazing products.  Most of what I recall was
directed to the South Florida Market and their Hurricane requirements.

The mock up and testing was pretty interesting.  Shooting 2x4's and
steel ball bearings at the glass and then Cyclic loading of the broken
lites, all done in certified labs in sunny South Florida.  Lots of
"fun".

--
Best regards,
 Steve                            mailto:steve(--nospam--at)jlaeng.com