From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 10:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Sections or Details

I've often wondered why we have to designate them as details or sections.  I avoid it if they are cut on plan.  And if they are referred to in a note it can say, "See 3/S4", without saying whether its a detail or section.  But if it's a standard detail or section, like through an elevator pit, I label it "Standard Section Through Elevator Pit."

John Riley

Nels Roselund <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net> wrote:

Mithc,

My Sections show a condition that extends some distance on the Plan, such as the intersection of a roof and a wall.  My Details show how to construct a structural Assembly.

Most Sections will refer to Details; for example, the assembly of components for construction a wall anchor that has been drawn schematically in the Section will be shown in the Detail.

A Section is a single view.  A Detail may have several views in order to clarify how the components are to be assembled.

Nels Roselund, SE

South San Gabriel, CA