Re: RE: Sections or Details

Just as a survey on a similar thread here....

How many of you label your details/give them a title? I make no designation between section or detail (Some places I have worked for gave "Sections" a detail LETTER that were cut from plans, and give "Details" a NUMBER which are references within Sections or Schedules). I don't really care about naming them in this sense... all my details or sections are assigned a NUMBER.

But what I do, is I give each detail a description. I arrange my details on a sheet with a border around the detail, and use a 2-line detail description. There is a horizontal line that terminates on the right with a circle that has the detail number inside. Above and below the line, I then place a description of what the detail is....an example would be:

"Perimeter Shearwall section at Upper floor" on top line
"Joist Perpendicular to wall" on the lower line.

I find that this is a useful thing for me and contractors, since I often do not like to clutter up my plans with callouts for every single similar condition, so it allows them to read where it's appropriate and cuts down on flipping back and forth between plans and details.

Another place I worked for, would reference in the detail, each instance it would occur on the plans, so sometimes you would have Detail "1 / S1.1. S1.2, S1.3 S.4 etc... on the bottom half of the detail circlewhich seemed to waste space to me because it overflowed out of the circle, but I guess is useful for tracking.

-gm