Re: big dig structural failure - epoxy anchors overhead supporting gravity

repeat of discussions in the various 'big dig' structural engineering
offices when the project was being put together. I  also wonder if any
of those engieers might be lurking on this list thinking, 'Where the
hell were they when we were designing these anchorages?"   <<<<<

of course, we're "off the clock"   :)

& don't have the time & $'s pressures of the actual design  /  construction process.

sometimes in day to day activities  & rush to get stuff done; time (or even cultural allowance) to question or "ponder" may not exist.

I've been lucky (or maybe I planned it that way  :)   .........  to always have (or take) time to ponder the "what ifs"

but aerospace & structural research answer to different "powers that be" plus I prefer "time to do it right" rather than "time to do it over" philosophy

I'll bet lunch at this point that it was poor hole prep, indequate anchor size & questionable installation methods.are to blame;  failure seldom results from a single error or bad practice........one needs the cascade effect

I've installed 100's of anchors and had some pullout at very low loads..........like "what the heck!, scary low loads

based on that I'm very cautious & meticulous about installations......it's easy to get complacent & lazy  BTDT

cheers
Bob

On 7/16/06, Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> wrote:

On Jul 16, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Robert Kazanjy wrote:

> It seemed to me whether an anchor was going to survive a given load
> level was related to the strain levles in the bonding material.
That's a useful observation, the main issue then being whether
cleanliness or the resin itself as the issue.

I wonder how much of the discussion we've had in this thread is a
repeat of discussions in the various 'big dig' structural engineering
offices when the project was being put together. I  also wonder if any
of those engieers might be lurking on this list thinking, 'Where the
hell were they when we were designing these anchorages?'

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org