Re: big dig structural failure - epoxy anchors overhead supporting gravity

On Jul 16, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Robert Kazanjy wrote:

I've been lucky (or maybe I planned it that way  :)   .........  to always have (or take) time to ponder the "what ifs"
I get accused of 'picking at scabs' because I like going over screw-ups more than most, even to the point of going through successes and looking for potential screw-ups. I agree with Petroski--we only learn from our failures, if only because we tend to think that our successes are simply signs of our skill and determination.

but aerospace & structural research answer to different "powers that be" plus I prefer "time to do it right" rather than "time to do it over" philosophy
We sound like birds of a feather.

I'll bet lunch at this point that it was poor hole prep, indequate anchor size & questionable installation methods.are to blame;  failure seldom results from a single error or bad practice........one needs the cascade effect
Absolutely right on. That's the lesson of every major failure I know anything about.

based on that I'm very cautious & meticulous about installations
You can generalize that to say it's good to be as cautious about fabrication as with the drawings and the arithmetic. Engineers used to learn that in school, but it's not like that any more.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/